Tuesday 21 January 2014

Giving Anxiety The Boot


I write this entry from an exam room at my local health clinic. I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to talk to my family GP while I am home (I don't have a doctor in my university town). 

While I sat in the waiting room I was, as usual, struck with anxiety. The uncomfortable situation of having to re-live last weeks crisis over again, the other people in the waiting room who I avoid making eye contact with, and the general atmosphere of the clinic are all contributors, but I quickly turned my thoughts to this entry to take away from the focus of the panic I felt building up inside of me. 

There are a number of strategies that I am going to try to implement into my daily life, as well as some emergency procedures when an attack does happen to strike. While distraction works temporarily in less severe situations, deep breathing seems to be the best way for me to put a stop to panic. 

Studies have shown that the practice of deep breathing relaxation techniques can, in fact, stop anxiety. The physical and psychological affects can be extremely calming when you are in a state of panic. 

Below, I link you to 3 different types of deep breathing techniques as outlined by psych central. It is important that you practice your deep breathing when you are calm too, so that it is easier to do when you are anxious. 

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/07/22/reduce-your-anxiety-this-minute-3-different-types-of-deep-breathing/


What techniques do you use when anxiety strikes? When is your favourite time to practice deep breathing? Have you considered trying yoga and meditation? What was your experience if you have? 

No comments:

Post a Comment