Wednesday 22 January 2014

Being Open to Therapy


One aspect of treatment and recovery that I will undoubtedly struggle with will be talk- and psycho-therapy, building a trusting relationship with a counsellor, and opening up honestly about my emotions and frustrations.

I am not sure why I have not ever been able to have a successful relationship with a counsellor, but I am sure it was probably to do with my own attitudes and not any incompetence on the counsellors part.

Today was one of my first positive experiences with a counsellor, and it is because it was the first time I walked in to the session with an open mind and a positive attitude. Recognizing myself as my own worst enemy has helped me in so many ways as of late, even in situations where I didn't realize that I was limiting myself and my opportunities.

Because Christine (the counsellor I saw today) won't be my "full time" counsellor, I was just referred to her by my doctor to talk to before heading back to school, my goal from our session today was basically to acquire some more tools and coping methods to get me back in to class and to generally take control of my mind in order to control my moods.

It was nice to hear that Christine felt that the readings and practices I've been applying for myself are all productive and effective ways of dealing with anxiety. We discussed how I will specifically apply those methods when I return to school, and when I am met with one of my "earth-shattering tragedies".


My three main focal points right now, as far as my mental health is concerned, are my anxiety about school and failure; my tendency to awfulize and victimize; and my lack of self-confidence.

The techniques that we study in cognitive behavioural therapy can help squash anxiety, depression, and problems with self-esteem. In fact, understanding the link between our thoughts, our behaviour, and our emotions can help gain at least some control over most mental illnesses. That link between thoughts, behaviours, and emotions is the link that provides the general basis for all of CBT and one that, once taken advantage of, can change your life.


The model above is one that I need to constantly remind myself of, especially when I'm anxious or awfulizing. Isn't it so refreshing to know that by taking control of your thoughts and behaviour, your feelings will quickly change too?? Recovery is looking easier and easier every second! 

The thing about CBT is that while it is a *simple* process, it is by no means an *easy* one. The act of changing our thinking is actually quite difficult and takes a lot of practice and education. That is why it is so important to be open to therapy, honest with your counsellor, honest with yourself, and most importantly: WILLING TO LET YOURSELF GET WELL. 


Here is a short youtube video that offers a simple overview of what CBT is all about… (the audio quality is not the greatest but certainly still coherent) 


Here are links to the two work books that Christine recommended I use as part of my self-help approach.

Amazon: Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing The Way You Think
 - Christine Padesky & Dennis Greenberger

Amazon: The Anxiety And Phobia Workbook
 - Edmund J. Bourne

Christine also recommended I try guided visualization a few times a week to keep my anxiety to a minimum in my daily routine. I haven't had the best success with yoga, meditation, guided visualization or relaxation in the past but I also haven't ever been open to it! I will link to any audio clips that I do use when I give it a try and of course let you know how it goes! (you…being me…since nobody else reads this….whatevs)

I am exhausted after these last two days but extremely proud of myself. I'm hoping that my posts on here can become a little more focussed and relevant… I am just overcome with new knowledge and positivity recently :) Tomorrow I want to write about mental illness in relationships, as I feel that mine has been struggling under the pressure of my depression and anxiety. THANK GOD my boyfriend is an absolute gem <3


SMILES,

SJ





1 comment:

  1. Good luck, sweetie, you seem to have a plan going. Just take baby steps, and be gentle on yourself. Only do what feels good and right for you. there's no rush. Take care, and well done for this step.

    ReplyDelete