Wednesday 22 January 2014

Focus

I think one of the main things we need to be continually reminding ourselves of on our road to recovery is just how imperative it really is to stay focussed on our mental health. It is easy to get frustrated and give up, to start feeling better and stop working at the strategies we've acquired, or to get overwhelmed and guide our energies and attention in to the wrong things. We can help ourselves to stay focussed by outlining clear, achievable goals and by creating simple action plans.


My father passed on the 'power of the sticky-note' to me at a young age, and it's a superpower I don't think I could now live without. When I am feeling overwhelmed I make lists. Lists of things I've done, lists of things I have left to do, lists of things I want to do, lists, lists, lists!!!! Sometimes, I make lists of the lists I've made. They stick up on my desk, fridge, wall, forehead, and they do wonders to keep me focussed. For whatever reason, being able to lay out all of my tasks before me and break up the big scary things in to smaller, simpler steps reduces my anxiety greatly. 

Remembering to keep it simple, make a list of all the things you want to accomplish today, however minor they may seem. Make sure to include the daily things such as showering, making and eating lunch, folding laundry, etc. because these tasks are just as important as anything else you do today. Remember that! AND ALWAYS REWARD YOURSELF. 

I want you to think of yourself as an arrow. You are sharp and you are powerful, but life is dragging you back with difficulties. You need to remember that every time the universe draws you back, it is preparing to launch you in to something great…so just focus and keep aiming. 



What do you want to accomplish today? 




No comments:

Post a Comment